Checking and savings accounts
|SoFi online bank account rates||APY||National average APY*|
- Monthly fee: $0
- Overdraft fee: $0
- Rewards: Up to 15% cash back at local establishments when you pay with your SoFi debit card.
- Bonus: Through the end of 2023, the bank offers a bonus worth up to $250 for customers with qualifying direct deposits. If your direct deposits total $5,000 or more, you’ll qualify for the full $250. For direct deposits between $1,000 and $4,999.99, you’ll receive a $50 bonus. You can expect to receive payment within seven business days following the 25-day evaluation period.
*National average rates as of October 16, 2023, according to the
SoFi’s savings rate compared to current top rates*
Other services SoFi offersSoFi offers a number of financial services for personal customers and business owners, including:
- SoFi invest: SoFi users can trade stocks and ETFs, invest in crypto, and more directly within the SoFI app with no commissions.
- Student loan refinancing: SoFi’s student loan refinancing loans offer competitive fixed rates starting at 5.24% and zero fees.
- Private student loans: SoFi’s private student loan offerings include MBA loans, law school loans, undergraduate loans, parent loans, and more.
- Personal loans: Consumers who are on the hunt for a personal loan can apply for a SoFi loan directly online and potentially qualify for anywhere from $5,000 to $100,000.
- Mortgage loans: SoFi’s mortgage loans offer low down payment options, low rates, and flexible repayment terms ranging from 10–30 years.
- Auto loan refinancing: SoFi customers can compare auto refinancing rates from a network of top lenders and submit an application without any fees or obligation.
- Credit cards: The SoFi credit card offers unlimited 2% cash back rewards on every purchase and no annual fee.
- Insurance products: SoFi offers auto, life, homeowners, and renters insurance, as well as a newly added cyber insurance which offers up to up to $10,000 in coverage to protect yourself against incidents of identity theft, cyber extortion, and more.
- Estate planning: For consumers who hope to create an estate plan for their financial future can do so online thanks to SoFi’s partnership with Trust & Will. SoFi members get 15% off select services.
- Financial insights: Credit monitoring services, budgeting tools, investment trackers, and more are all available on SoFi’s platform.
- Business financing and solutions: SoFi offers small business financing, as well as tools to help businesses better support their employees.
The SoFi platform and customer supportCustomers can request assistance 24/7 by reaching out to SoFi via phone, chat, email, and even sending general questions to the Twitter account at @SoFiSupport. This bank offers both online and mobile banking platforms, available for download on the Apple App Store and Google Play. The app currently has an average rating of 4.5 on both digital storefronts.
Pros and cons of banking with SoFiIf you’re considering banking with SoFi, here are a few of the major perks and drawbacks to note:
- No minimum deposit requirements
- No monthly account fees
- Competitive rates on deposit accounts
- Direct deposit required for highest savings APY
- Must open both a checking and savings account (can’t have just one or the other)
- Bonus requires large balance
Additional banks with competitive APYs to consider
- Quorum Federal Credit Union review: Competitive APYs, various account offerings, but limited customer service hours.
- Rising Bank review: Offers mobile and online banking and zero monthly maintenance fees but a higher minimum opening deposit.
- Prime Alliance Bank review: A diverse mix of business and personal products, but only one physical branch.
- Ivy Bank review: Competitive high-yield savings and CDs, but no checking accounts and steep minimum deposit requirements.
- TAB Bank review: High-yield savings and CDs, but limited checking options.
Frequently asked questions
Is SoFi a real bank?Yes. SoFi is an FDIC-insured, nationally chartered bank.
Does Zelle work with SoFi?Zelle is not available directly in the SoFi app, but you can link your SoFi debit card to your Zelle account. SoFi does have its own peer-to-peer payment platform, however.
Does SoFi have a minimum balance requirement?SoFi does not have any minimum balance requirements.
EDITORIAL DISCLOSURE: The advice, opinions, or rankings contained in this article are solely those of the Fortune Recommends™ editorial team. This content has not been reviewed or endorsed by any of our affiliate partners or other third parties.
Top bank reviews
Ally Bank Review 2023: Offers high-yield savings with a wide range of CD terms but no physical branches1/10
Bread Savings Review 2023: No checking accounts, but high APYs on savings accounts and CDs2/10
UFB Direct review: Limited account options but high-yield savings and money market accounts with APYs above 5%3/10
FNBO Direct Review 2023: Zero monthly fees and competitive APYs, but limited account options4/10
SoFi Bank Review 2023: An online bank with solid APYs and a long list of financial servicesCurrently on5/10
CIBC Agility Digital Banking Review 2023: High-yield savings and CDs for online banking customers6/10
Popular Direct Review 2023: Deposit accounts boast high APYs, but savers will need to make larger minimum deposits7/10
Barclays Bank Review 2023: Stellar APYs but limited account options and no physical locations8/10
CFG Bank Review 2023: Maryland bank making top money market and CD rates available to all9/10
CIT Bank Review 2023: An online-only bank with competitive savings interest rates10/10